1. Working in Haiti with a group of youth teaching camera skills and bringing out so much more!
2. A few of the girls checking out their work at the street exhibit in Petite Riviere, working with the girls in this group broadened their perspectives about life. Initially they all spoke of being only nurses or teachers, but holding a camera gave them other ideas too!
3. When girls that come from extreme poverty are educated, they make significantly better choices about money, family and education than do their male counterparts. Women are part of the solution to a global shift in Social Change, so please support programs that educate girls!!!
Lately things have been stunningly quiet which can be a little disconcerting. Especially when you feel like you have had months of being ON FIYAH! In the big picture context however, this is a sure bet that you are cooking something up, ideas, connections, stuff on the backburner etc; it will all come forth, just have to keep on believing you are on the right path.
As many of you who have been following my blogs know, I have at times written about Cameras 4 Change, it is kind of my baby, and it is still in it’s gestation period, not quite a new born yet, still forming itself. There is going to be more to come before we really kick it off, having said that, we know a few things about it.
– it is born of my experience working with photography, creative writing, and social media as a means to
– connect people with the world to bring on social change.
– I got the idea after working in Haiti teaching a youth education program using cameras teaching teens and loved how it instilled so much more in them, like confidence, leadership, creativity, possibility, passion and hope!
Last night I had a dream that I was back in Africa, working with youth in a small community doing art-work inspired by photos they had taken. The results were beautiful in my dream. Now I want it to become an even bigger reality. It is starting to feel tangible, especially as I realize how much has formed with Cameras4Change over the past year since I returned from Haiti.
– I now have a dedicated webpage and FaceBook Page for Cameras4Change
– There are 4 people involved – IT’S NOT JUST ME!!!! you will meet them all soon!
– We are getting interest from the outside world, which is ENCOURAGING!!!
– Recently I got help in formulating the first draft of a MISSION STATEMENT – we will be reworking it at a second meeting coming up soon, it’s fantastic to be building from this!!!
– SOMETHING IS HAPPENING HERE!!!
In the meantime, I am continuing to work with Project X Impact on creating sustainable change to issues around FGM, Child Marriage, and the girl child in Kenya, as well as continuing themes around the World Water Crisis and Gender. Please consider helping support the girls we have been working with for their education, even small amounts add up to make a huge difference.
Go to the donation link at Project X Impact to become part of something greater than yourself. Effecting Social Change is a challenge, poverty is a door, education is a key, and women are part of the solution.
“Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it” Buddha